1. Guard the border;
2. Fight the enemies;
3. Carry out relief and rescue missions after every natural calamity;
4. Conduct flag marches in riot-hit areas;
5. Build roads and bridges in border regions;
6. Provide medical facilities in remotest corners of the country;
7. Everything else the government asks them to do, including diplomacy.
Neha Makkad and Gaurav during the wedding. TOI Photo
It was Monday and Neha Makkad, 23, of Rohtak was worried that her wedding will not happen because of the violent agitators who had brought life to standstill in the area. The groom, Gaurav, had lost his business because rioters torched his shop. He was afraid he will lose his bride too.
Makkad’s family was unable to go to the venue just a few kilometers away from her home in Gurcharanpura locality. Police was helpless. Then she turned to a column of the 3/5 Gorkha Rifles battalion that was patrolling the area.
The army patrolling an affected area in Haryana. PTI
The bride, the groom and their respective families said that they were indebted to the Army for what they had done.