We are a nation of ‘cinema lovers’. Right from following what our favorite stars wear to imitating what they do and say on screen (as well as of screen), we not only follow them blindly but sometimes even worship them! Movies play such a major role in our lives that our most favorite ‘weekend’ or ‘holiday’ activity is to go catch the latest movie. Some of these movies have impacted our lives in ways even we couldn’t imagine.
So here’s some fun trivia on our some such beloved movies:
1. The original choices for Guru Dutt’s Pyaasa were Nargis and Madhubala.
2. Besides cameo appearances in his own films, director Subhash Ghai also made an appearance in Aradhna.
3. ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ (1960) was a trilingual – with all scenes shot thrice in Hindi, Tamil and English.
P.S: There was an English version in the pipeline too, but it was aborted when the Tamil one flopped miserably.
4. Owing to his superstitious beliefs Raj Kapoor went off drinking as well as eating non-vegetarian food before the release of ‘Satyam Shivan Sundaram’
5. Danny Denzongpa was initially approached for the role of ‘Gabbar’ in Sholay
6. Scriptwriters found actor Amjad Khan’s voice to be too weak for the role of Gabbar in Sholay and almost dropped him from the movie.
7. The only movie in which Shashi Kapoor played an elder brother to Amitabh Bachchan was ‘Silsila’. In all other movies like ‘Deewar’, ‘Suhaag’, ‘Do Aur Do Paanch’ and ‘Namak Halaal’ Amitabh has essayed the role of the elder sibling.
8. The dance steps from ‘Duniya Pagal Hai Ya Phir Main Deewana’ in ‘Shagird’ were learnt by Joy Mukherji from a dancer in a Hong Kong nightclub.
9. Kareena’s wardrobe for the film ‘Heroine’ is claimed to be one of the most expensive out of all the Bollywood movies ever created. She wore over 130 different dresses provided from top designers from all over the world.
10. Everyone’s favorite ‘Raj’ from ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ would have been Saif Ali Khan if he, as the original choice would have agreed to do the film. Alas, it was not be as we see only SRK as the perfect fit for it now.
11. The movie ‘Rockstar’ was shot in reverse order, with the climax being shot first because the makers did not want to disturb the continuity of Ranbir Kapoor’s hairstyle.
12. One of the most celebrated movies of Bollywood, ‘Mera Naam Joker’ was the first Hindi movie to have two intervals.
13. ‘Lagaan’ has the most number of British actors playing a significant role in the entire history of Bollywood cinema.
14. ‘Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai’ won a total of 92 awards, earning it an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records 2002 edition for winning the most number of awards for a movie.
P.S: Also, Kareena Kapoor was chosen to play the original love interest of ‘Rohit’ in the movie. But things didn’t work out and in came Amisha.
15. The role of Ileana D’Cruz in ‘Barfi’ was originally offered to Katrina Kaif.
16. PK is the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time (around $100 million).
17. Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Anil Kapoor were offered SRK’s role in ‘Baazigar’ but all of them turned it down as they did not want to play the anti-hero.
18. ‘Swades’ is said to be based on real life story of a couple named Aravinda Pillalamarri and Ravi Kuchimanchi.
19. Everyone’s favorite comedy movie ‘Andaz Apna Apna’ took a total of three years to make.
20. The movie ‘Karan-Arjun’ was originally titled as ‘Kaaynaat’
As much as we Indians love movies, we love reading and knowing the small things too. Hence, these too must have surely brought on a smile to your faces!