Valentine’s week is here. And it is that time of the year in which lots of affection, love and gifts is given to the loved ones, and the celebrations are incomplete without a rose. Although rose has only one dedicated day in the week, people are known to give roses to their partners each day. Rose is the most loved flower in the world because it is considered to be the best representation of love. Since the starting of civilization, the rose has been known as the ultimate symbol of love. Apart from it’s beauty and fragrance, a rose has many other features like it is edible and is a great source of vitamin D. Check out these interesting facts about roses:
1. Juliet rose is the world’s most expensive rose. It’s worth more than a crore. The famous florist David Austin bred it by combining multiple species of roses. It took him 15 years and 5 million dollars to cultivate it.
2. There are more than 100 species of roses. Most of them are found in Asia. Others are from Europe, North America and Africa.
3. World’ largest rose was approximately 33 inches in diameter. It was bred by Nikita K. Rulhoksoffski from San Onofre California
4. Rose oil is used in making perfumes. It takes 2 thousand roses to make 1 gram of rose oil.
5. Rose water and syrup are used to make certain eatables. Rose Hip (a berry shaped accessory fruit that grows in certain species of rose) is used to make Jam, Jelly and Marmalade.
6. Thanks to commercial breeding, roses can be commonly found in every country. Rose farming was first started in 500 B.C.
7. Thousand-year rose, that grows on the wall of Hildesheim Cathedral, Germany is the world’s oldest living rose. Its presence was first documented in 815 A.D.
8. Rose is one of the three flowers that are mentioned in the Bible. Other two are lily and camphire.
9. Roses can grow quite tall. The tallest rose bush is over 5.66 m (18 feet 7 inches) tall.
10. The largest private rose garden in the world is located at Cavriglia, Italy. It has almost every species of roses.