We are not even halfway through the summer season and the temperature is going to soar even more. Thanks to global warming and our irresponsible behavior with natural resources, 45 or 50 degree temperatures are normal for cities which were never this hot.
Nothing beats the feeling of walking into an air conditioned room. Feels heavenly, right? The news is that air conditioners are not your friend, instead, the artificial cool air is slowly killing you. Here is why you need to end this friendship.
1. Air conditioning steals away the moisture from your skin as it removes humidity from the air. So, you better choose between healthy skin and a machine which might expose you to other health risks listed below.
2. Yes, the summer heat is intolerable but long term exposure to air conditioned environment makes you even more intolerant. Just look at the surge in demand for cabs.
3. Summer cold/flu? That is the worse, right? It actually happens because of the stark difference in temperature between the outside and an air conditioned room. People who work in air conditioned offices are likely to suffer from constant mucous membrane irritation and breathing difficulties which lead to cold and flu and increased respiratory issues.
4. A closed environment constantly getting pumped with cool air also causes chronic headaches and fatigue. Body aches occur because it constantly tries to adjust to the changing temperature.
5. Air conditioners are known to filter the air but a machine in bad shape circulates airborne diseases. It gives rise to and worsens lung and heart diseases.
6. Sudden entry or exit from an air conditioned room will decrease your blood pressure. The sudden atmospheric change causes stress and makes the body vulnerable to blood pressure related illnesses.
7. Conjunctivitis is another health implication of sudden change in temperature and humidity.
Better health is just one decision away. It might be a little difficult to totally renounce air conditioners but we can decrease our exposure. This small lifestyle change can make a huge difference.