Fans are going crazy over the 28th Summer Olympic Games, The Rio Olympics. The first one took place in Greece in 1896 and since then the event has been held in 19 different countries.
But have you ever thought what happened to all of those huge venues purposely built to host the world’s most famous games? If not then these photographs will surely give you a shock! From Beijing to Berlin, from Athens to Atlanta, these pictures serve to remind us that while the games may be over, the memories live on.
1. Bobsled Track, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics
The disused bobsled track from the Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics is seen on Mount Trebevic, near Sarajevo, September 19, 2013. Abandoned and left to crumble into oblivion, most of the 1984 Winter Olympic venues in Bosnia’s capital Sarajevo have been reduced to rubble by neglect as much as the 1990s conflict that tore apart the former Yugoslavia.
2. 1956 Winter Olympics Venue, Ski Jump Tower, Cortina D’ampezzo, Italy.
These Sky Towers helped the swiss jumper, Andreas Dascher to introduce a new style of jumping, which would soon come to be known as the Dascher technique. Earlier, the athletes would hold their arms forward over their heads. Dascher reasoned that if the athlete held his arms at his side he would fly farther.
3. 2004 Summer Olympic Venue, Olympic Village, Athens.
Training pool for athletes at the Olympic village left abandoned.
4. 1936 Summer Olympics Venue, Swimming Pool, Berlin.
Swimming pool in the 1936 Olympic village left unkept in Elstal, west of Berlin. The village housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin under Nazi rule, Soon after was used as barracks for the German army and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army’s final withdrawal in 1992.
5. 1968 Winter Olympic Games, Ski Jumping Tower, Grenoble, France.
A beautiful view of an abandoned ski jumping tower.
6. Olympic Sports Complex, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics Venue.
A graveyard got established over Olympic Sports Complex in Sarajevo for the 1984 Winter Olympics.
7. Beach Volleyball Venue, Beijing, 2008 Summer Olympics.
The venue which was once used for beach volleyball lying unmaintained and deserted.
8. Olympic Mascot lying unwanted, Beijing, 2008 Olympics.
Two of the five mascots for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, are seen lying among trees behind an abandoned, never-completed mall in Beijing.
9. Main Swimming Pool, Athens, 2004 Summer Olympics Venue.
Seats for reporters remain desolate in 2014.
10. Olympic Village, Berlin, 1936 Summer Olympics Venue.
The deserted houses for the athletes in the former Olympic Village for the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games.
11. Barricades Outside The Stadium, Athens, 2004 Summer Olympics Venue
For more check here