Technologies like cloud computing, data analytics and mobile computing are revolutionizing the online marketplace today. According to Forrester research, in the coming years the US mobile payments will amount to whooping $90 billion and 175 million people shopping online by 2017.
The growth in the online sales segment is amazing and currently accounts for over 8% of total retail purchases worldwide.
Asia-Pacific region is particularly predicted to witness a strong demand and thus presenting vibrant opportunities for e-commerce technology vendors. Creating an online shopping cart for your business requires expert advice in order to save resources during the process.
Finding perfect platform in the Internet world is still not easy. Each one has been designed specifically keeping in mind different purposes to solve. Before integrating an e-commerce into the system, test different platforms in your environment to ensure compatibility.
Here’s telling you about the top 7 e-commerce platforms that can be used for your business.
OpenCart was released in the year 2009 under the GNU license. It provides a great usability experience to both the merchants as well as their online customers. Multiple features give it one of the best ‘order management’ in e-commerce software category.
- Can sell unlimited number of products (over 20 payment and 8 shipping methods).
- Multi-language support.
- Support for multi-currency transactions.
- Choice of tax payment in accordance to national laws (differ from country to country).
- User friendly search helps to gain higher ranks in search engines.
6. Zen Cart
Zen Cart is a perfect e-commerce platform that comes with a newsletter manager, discount coupons and gift certificates. It includes all the basic features you’d expect form an open source product. Users can make use of numerous freely available add-ons to customize their online store. Its straightforward design helps in making the admin experience a little better as compared to other products.
- Availability of out-of-box features.
- Wide range of customizable options.
- Straightforward platform makes Zen Cart’s installation a smooth ride.
5. Spree Commerce
Spree is an open-source platform that runs on a web application framework called ‘Ruby on Rails’. It supports more than 50 payment gateways with a single page checkout feature. It comes with built-in Google Analytics, which can save merchants lots of time and effort.
- Configurable model (Appearance style is quite easy to modify).
- Recently added features get displayed in a slider/carousel.
- An option to remove old features from site without deleting them and save new work without publishing it.
PrestaShop is a free, robust and reliable e-commerce solution. It is heavily used in professional online retailing business. It provides a full-featured back-office application to manage all your tasks, ranging from inventory management to shipping orders in real-time. A merchant receives customer’s payment directly in his bank account using the latest 3Dsecure technologies with PrestaShop.
- Supports all the major payment gateways via respective APIs (application program interface).
- Allow you to upload high quality product images.
osCommerce is an acronym for Open Source Commerce. This online store management software was started in the year 2000 in Germany. It supports a wide range of credit-card processors and shipping services. It is available under the GNU general public license for users. This completely free software currently powers over 2 lakh online stores worldwide. It uses PHP for server-side programming and MYSQL for managing its relational database management system (RDBMS).
- Availability of templates at no cost.
- Can be hosted anywhere.
This pretty shopping cart has been made to work along with the Joomla framework and PHP for server-side scripting. It has a support for multiple language and multi-currency environment. It is capable of handling unlimited number of product orders and customer queries parallely.
Allow customers to create their shopping account and access the order history.
Magento is world’s fastest growing e-commerce platform, being used by 150,000 (26% market share) businesses. You need only to have a look upon Magneto’s client list to gauge its popularity index. Its community edition is freely distributed under open source license. But, you have to pay for using Magento’s extremely useful features offered under the Enterprise edition. It is built using the Zend Framework with PHP language for server-side scripting by developers.
- Has a stable release under OSL 3.0 license.
- Open source platform i.e. highly suited for developers and tech enthusiasts.
- Allow you to customize all the excellent features such as catalog management, shopping functions etc. within no time.