Javagal Srinath, a former cricketer, and an ICC match referee, is one of India’s finest bowlers. He was the first one to take more than 300 wickets in One Day Internationals and was the hero of Indian fast bowling attack for 12 years.
Here are some interesting facts about Srinath:
1. He had a hat-trick in his Ranji debut where he took 5/85 against Hyderabad.
2. In 1996, he took 6/21 to shatter South Africa at 105 in the first test match at Ahmedabad.
3. Srinath had a record of 315 wickets in 229 games. He was the first Indian to have this record and it was broken by Anil Kumble who took 337 wickets in 271 games.
4. Srinath is not only an ace bowler but a good batsman, too. He has a test score of 76 runs and has batted in the top five 12 times in his career.
5. He is known for his calm demeanor and soft-spoken nature. Once, he hit Stephen Fleming with a bouncer and said something. While this irked Fleming, Srinath later revealed that he was asking Fleming if he was okay.
6. To help his friend Anil Kumble make a record, Srinath bowled wide in 1999 against Pakistan and allowed Kumble to take his 10th wicket.
7. Srinath was married to Jyothsna in 1999. They had a mutual divorce. He got remarried in 2009 to Madhavi Patravali, who is a journalist.
8. A year after making his international debut, Srinath won the Indian Cricketer of the Year award, in 1992.
9. For his achievements and contribution to Indian cricket, Srinath was awarded the Arjuna Award in 1996.
10. After retirement, Srinath became an ICC match referee and has been great at it as well.
11. Srinath has also played English county cricket with Leicester, Gloucestershire, and Durham. While playing for Gloucestershire, he took 87 wickets in one season.
Srinath is not only a splendid bowler but is also one of the finest human beings in the sports fraternity. We wish him a Happy Birthday and many more victories.