There are some laws that most of the people are unaware of because of their ‘stupidness’. Here we have a list of 23 such weird laws that are still being followed across the globe.
1. Singing “Happy Birthday to you” in Public I’ve done it. You’ve done it. Hell, anyone with an office job has found themselves roped into an embarrassing-for-all rendition of the world’s most recognized song. How could such an innocent celebration of a loved one’s birthday be illegal?
It all started in 1935, when “Happy Birthday to You” was copyrighted by the Birch Tree Group Limited. In 1988, a division of the Warner Music Group acquired Birch Tree and began collecting around $5,000 a day in licensing fees for the song.
No matter how you slice it, under current copyright rules, every time you sing “Happy Birthday to You” in public, you’re breaking the law. Oops.
2. Chewing gum in Singapore
There is a ban on importing chewing gum into Singapore
which is strictly enforced. Since 2004, only chewing gum of therapeutic value is allowed into Singapore under the “Regulation of Imports and Exports (Chewing Gum) Regulations.” Gum can be bought from a doctor, but must be prescribed.
3. There are Bathroom Etiquette Laws in Florida
It is 100% illegal to take bath naked in Florida. This is one law you might not regret even after committing it.
4. It’s illegal for a man with a mustache to, under any circumstances, kiss a woman in public in Iowa
Welcome to scenic Iowa, where November is the Saddest Month.
5. Honk your horn in New York
This may seem like a crazy law but in reality, anything that helps quieten down one of the world’s largest cities can’t be a bad thing. If you can’t contain your road rage you risk paying a $350 fine – and this probably won’t help your anger.
6. Elevator laws in New York
According to Elevator Laws in New York: While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door. So please just control yourself the next time you walk into any old friend in an elevator.
7. Can you imagine that this Sweet little thing is also illegal
According to basically every anti-graffiti state law in the US, it is illegal simply to possess “broad-tipped indelible markers” or “aerosol cans” in a public place, because they can be used to commit acts of vandalism. You can find such regulations all over the United States, from Florida to New York to California, which also make it a crime to buy permanent markers for anyone under 18. California, remember, is a state where it is legal to buy weed if you have a doctor’s note.
8. Cold Soda at a Liquor Store
It is illegal for a liquor store in Indiana to sell cold soda. But what if I need something cold to mix with my rum…?
9. Treat your Ashes right!
In Blairstown, NJ it is illegal to throw ashes on the sidewalk.
10. Buying services of a prostitute in Sweden Flesh trade is forbidden in most countries around the world. In Sweden, however, there is a weird law which states that flesh trade is legal. What is more interesting is that a buyer who purchases anything from the prostitute will be criminally charged.
11. United Kingdom: Dying in the Houses of Parliament It’s not sure how they would prosecute you for breaking this law, but: dying in the Houses of Parliament is technically not allowed because anyone who dies inside is entitled to a state funeral. And clearly, the government doesn’t want to deal with many state funerals.
12. North Korea: Blue Jeans
Not black jeans. Just blue jeans. Apparently the color is associated with the United States, so North Korea banned them.
13. Reincarnation without permission is banned in China
A 2007 law in China on the “Management Measures for the Reincarnation of Living Buddhas in Tibetan Buddhism” made it illegal for Buddhist monks to reincarnate without prior government approval.
14. Flushing the Toilet in Switzerland
In Switzerland, it is illegal to flush a toilet after 10pm
as it causes Noise Pollution. This one confounds me.
15. Pillow Fight in Germany
A pillow is considered a “passive weapon” in Germany, so it may be a good idea to keep it locked in your hotel safe while you’re out.
16. Strange love in Lebanon
If you have a fetish towards animals, you can now make love to them as long as the animal is a female. A weird law which is followed in Lebanon.
17. In case of Fire in Missouri, Dress up
If you are in a night gown and need to be rescued in a fire, keep dreaming. In Missouri, it is against the law for firemen to rescue women who are in their nightdresses.
18. Fishing in United Kingdom?
Love to spend your Sunday at the river fishing? There are a lot of people who love to, but in the United Kingdom, one cannot fish on a Sunday, it is against the law.
19. Obesity in Japan
In Japan if you are obese, you will need to pay a heavy penalty. A strange law states that obesity in China is offensive. The irony is that this law is followed in a country which is famous for Sumo-wrestling.
20. Pets can’t smoke
In Illinois, giving a lighted cigar to a pet is illegal.
21. No fancy hairstyles in Iran
The Iranian government issued a list of appropriate male hairstyles in 2010, which prohibited ponytails, mullets, and hair that was too spiky.
22. Australia: Pornography Featuring Women with “Small” Breasts
Apparently, some Australian politicians thought that pornography featuring women with breasts considered “small”would encourage pedophilia. The Australian Classification Board started refusing classification of these materials as a way of discouraging them.
23. No Woman on Top allowed in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts it is deemed illegal for a woman to be on top during sex.
Life is short and unpredictable. So, be careful next time if you are going around any of these places. You would not want to end up in prison for committing such a weird crime.