The USA defeated the Japanese in this battle. The Japanese lost three battleships, four aircraft carriers, ten cruisers and nine destroyers.
9. Coral Sea, 8 May 1942 (World War II):
The US Navy took on the Japanese in the first major battle fought using aircraft from carriers.
8. Guadalcanal, 9 August – 30 November 1942 (World War II):
This series of six naval engagements between the USA and Japanese resulted in heavy losses on both sides.
7. Jutland, 31 May 1916 (World War I):
During this engagement the Royal Navy took on the German fleet, which withdrew.
The British fleet under Lord Nelson won this sea battle against the French, although Nelson was killed.
5. Spanish Armada, 29 July 1588 (Anglo – Spanish War):
In July 1588, 130 Spanish ships with 2,500 guns and 30,000 troops set out to attack England. The English fleet badly damaged the Spanish ships with their guns, and the rest of the fleet was destroyed by bad weather.
4. Lepanto, 7 October 1571 (Cyprus War):
The Spanish force defeated the Turkish fleet, which lost 25,000 sailors in 250 galleys.
3. Actium, 2 September 31 BC (Wars of the second Triumvirate):
Mark Antony and the Egyptians fleet were defeated by the Romans during this battle.
2. Aegospotami, 405 BC (Peloponnesian War):
In the battle 180 Athenian triremes were faced with 170 Peloponnesian ships. The Athenians were conquered and the Peloponnesian War ended.
1. Salamis, 20 October 480 BC (Greco – Persian Wars):
The Greeks overcame a Persian fleet, saving Greece fron conquest.