Jagjit Singh was the man with the silken voice who took songs to a different level altogether. The Ghazal King, as he was fondly christened by fans and peers, was so excellent at weaving magic with his voice that he even made the Disco, Music Band and hip-hop generation fall in love with this wonderful genre of music which we know as the ghazals. After struggling for a long time, he made it big with his album The Unforgettables released in the year 1976. Successively, his songs in movies like Arth, Saath Saath and Premgeet etched his elegance and superiority forever in the Indian ghazal Music scene. Here is a list of some of Jagjit Singh’s ghazals which made him a favorite and a household name.
10. Badi Nazuk Hai Ye Manzil (Jogger’s Park):This was a song from the 2003 Hindi movie Jogger’s Park. Though the movie received a mixed response at the box-office; the song Badi Nazuk Hai Ye Manzil by the ghazal maestro was commended by all and unquestionably for it had the magic of his voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8MCvdNhNLk
9. Koi Fariyaad (Tum Bin):One of the best things about ghazals is their ability to convey moods and sentiments. They are not over the top and perhaps the say a lot more than any other genre of song could ever. Koi Fariyaad is yet another track which was brought to life by Jagjit Sing and imaginably one of his best of this century.
8. Chithi Na Koi Sandesh (Dushman):I remember being just a school going girl when this song was released but this song had a certain connect that drew me towards it. Again it was his voice that caused the effect. This song by Jagjit Singh set the tone for the movie; it was just a reflection of the ease with which he related sentiments through his music, his songs. Again, another master piece from his barrel of poignant songs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m41jtoWIl7A
7. Hosh Walon Ko (Sarfarosh):There aren’t too many songs that brilliantly describe the feeling of falling in love while at the same time are delicate and sensual as well. This song by Jagjit Singh from the movie Sarfarosh is simply exquisite and pleasing to the ears. You cannot deny the affect his voice has on you and thus this song is a definite pick for this list.
6. Jhuki Jhuki Si Nazar (Arth):Well words fail but Jagjit Singh’s ghazals certainly don’t. Sometimes you wonder if he was particularly picked and blessed by a power above, for his songs seem to have that dreamlike quality. Again, this is a song which was one of the very first illustrations of his sheer genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z77ShBSA0_Y
5. Kagaz ki kashti:
Another soulful number through which he made his way into our hearts is Kagaz Ki Kashti. The magnetism in his voice is what connected instantly with people. This song again is another aide-mémoire of why in the era of Disco; he rose to prominence ascending to the throne of The Ghazal King even with the presence of other ghazal stalwarts.