Comedy is one of the most entertaining aspects of movies. The essence of good comedy is to keep it as funny as possible and also at the same time take care that in good humor people are not offended in any way. It is an art in itself and has a lot of different approaches that can be used. A top ten list on comedy movies can be a very debatable top ten but nonetheless the best ever comedy movies stand out as we can watch these funny flicks again and again.
10. Dumb and Dumber (1994): The first among many successful movies directed by Farrelly Brothers, Dumb and Dumber is the tale of two moronic friends who have some moronic adventures through their journey across the country. The film starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels delivers a continuous flow of comedy in various styles and is a flick worth rolling your tummies on.
9. Ace Ventura- Pet Detective (1994): Jim Carrey is a master of comedy and has done many memorable comedian roles in many movies, but this was really the film that launched him into stardom and beyond. The series that subsequently came following the success of the movie managed to run for three seasons. The name is descriptive enough as Ace Ventura is a detective who specializes in animals.
8. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979): The Monty Python comedy team has made some amazing movies and this one plays out the story of Brian who gets mixed up in things. The birth of Brian and Jesus coincide and he is mistaken for the messiah. The film unfolds wonderfully well as satire runs rich and deep in the whole process. Although criticized for the anti-religious sentiments depicted the movie is one of the funniest you will ever get to watch.
7. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police squad (1988): Leslie Nielson stars as Lieutenant Frank Drebin in this unforgettable comedy movie that has two others made in te same series. A comedy legend, Nielsen does everything right in the movie to give birth to the comedy series on the big screen wonderfully well.
6: The Pink Panther (1963): Jacques Clouseau is the lead character as the detective who solves things purely by accidents. There are many movies in the name of the pink panther. Most memorably portrayed by Steve Martin, the pink panther series in itself should be watched for any comedy buff.
5. Airplane (1980): A 1980 comedy film that uses absurd and surreal wonderfully well to give us one of the greatest films of all time. The story revolves around a flight that goes terribly wrong when food poisoning makes most of the crew on the plane ill and Ted Striker (an ex fighter pilot) comes into the picture. Ted has a strange fear of flying that he develops over the course of his past and the film unfolds awesomely well once the flight begins.
4. Annie Hall (1977): Director and actor Woody Allen is an unforgettable personality in the film world. He has made many wonderful comedy films and Annie Hall is a romantic comedy that has won many awards. The film has globally made around 40 million USD which is still increasing somehow as the film still finds place in people’s hearts.
3. The Jerk (1979): The film was Steve Martin’s debut as a lead actor and is undoubtedly one of the best films ever made. The central character in the movie is a standout clumsy and unlucky character that goes through a series of unfortunate adventures. He is adopted into a family that plays music and finds him terribly out of place and struggles to overcome his drawbacks.
2. This is Spinal Tap (1984): This Is Spinal Tap is a film based on the antics of rock musicians and the degradation that occurs with the use of drugs and a deplorable attitude towards life. The film has gained a lot of appreciation from different quarters which includes the title of a film that is aesthetically and culturally sound enough to preserve. The epic scenes in the film follow the outrageous exploits of a band that is on tour.
1. National Lampoon’s Animal house (1978): Animal House is based on a series of stories written on the National Lampoon magazine is one of the highest profit making films in terms of percentages. It is the story of two friends who go up against a fraternity system at the college they go to. A must watch film for any comedy lover, this film deserves to be number one.