For this GoM has inserted a new section in the Motor Vehicles Act.
According to Rajasthan Transport Minister Yunus Khan, who heads panel formed by Centre in February, these stringent penalties would help in regulating vehicular traffic, ensuring road safety and reducing mishaps.
Rajasthan Transport Minister Yunus Khan patrika
The panel has also approved immediate withdrawal of advertisements, films and TV serials that show speeding and rash driving without “adequate warning” on the screen.
* For first time offenders, the fine would be Rs 5,000 or six months jail
* For subsequent offence, two years jail or Rs 10,000 fine.
* Higher penalty for drivers who fail to take crash victims to hospitals, in cases where they face no mob fury. Jail term of up to six months or Rs 2,000 fine for such drivers
* Rs 2000 fine for driving without insurance. For first offence three months jail and Rs 4,000 fine on subsequent offence
* Crash victims will be liable for compensation if they are hit by an uninsured vehicle
The group also endorsed an earlier recommendation to increase penalty on over loading of trucks at the rate of Rs 1,000 per tonne.
In a recent case, a Mercedes at 100 km/hr hit a pedestrianSidharth Sharma, 32, and killed him ndtv
The penalty and punishment will be fixed in consultation with the union law and home ministries.