The wagon of meaningless controversies spread like a wildfire when Shah Rukh Khan on his 50th
birthday turned up for an interview
with Bharkha Dutt. Little did he knew, that the media (king of intolerance ) will twist his words and create a havoc. Shah Rukh Khan, with witty intelligence, quoted these wise lines: “There is intolerance, there is extreme intolerance… there is, I think… there is growing intolerance.” “We have made a huge thing about our meat-eating habits. How can the food habits of people be an issue?” “It is stupid… It is stupid to be intolerant and this is our biggest issue, not just an issue… Religious intolerance and not being secular in this country is the worst kind of crime that you can do as a patriot.” No wise person would doubt his intent but some BJP members attacked his loyalty towards the nation and labeled him “deshdrohi” and “anti-nationalist
” and what’s more, Hafiz Saeed
, mastermind of the 26/11 attack, gave Khan a formal invitation to join him in Pakistan. Just to calm the emerging storm, Barkha Dutt wrote an open letter to Shah Rukh to make people understand what he actually meant and what the so-called political leaders misunderstood.
1. She started off with a feeling of deep regret and promised that she will never force Shah Rukh for an interview again.
2. She added that to understand the real meaning of King Khan’s words, we need to know the history.
He was misunderstood even then.
3. She pointed out an incident when Shah Rukh was asked to apologize for his bold statement, “Pakistanis should be allowed to play in the Indian Premier League.”
But he broke the ice and gave this brave reply:
4. She also gave a brief about the Wankhede incident where he was slammed for the second time because of religon.
“Two years later you got into a scuffle at the city’s Wankhede Stadium, you regretted it later and said you’d made a mistake but I still remember how you told me that the official whispered a communal slur to you, an abuse that once again targeted you for your religion.”
5. Then, she finally brought light to the recent controversy
6. She showed immense respect for him for taking a stand
7. She finds it strange when people of his own country don’t value his words
You, Shah Rukh, the real life man, not Raj or Rahul, your screen avatars – are my hero. But shamefully, I must admit.We don’t deserve you. With sadness, Barkha Find the complete letter here