A state of confusion continues to prevail over the Mumbai Police reducing the security cover for 40 Bollywood celebrities including top actors Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan. Mumbai police on January 8 first tweeted a denial of an Indian Express story that said that security cover for Aamir Khan and SRK would be reduced. Mumbai Police had tweeted:
Tweet by Mumbai Police. TOI
However, soon they deleted the tweet. Quoting Mumbai Police, a report in Indian Express
talked about the reduction in security cover because a threat assessment review showed that the actors no longer face any threat and hence a high degree of security for them was “unwanted.”
With regards to the two Khans, police said that they were provided additional force in the wake of their comments on the subject of intolerance, and now they no longer need it as the latest assessment shows that they no longer face any threat.
The additional security was given to Shah Rukh Khan as he has been considered a target since 2013 when his movie ‘My Name is Khan’ was released. The security was then again tightened last year after he expressed his view on growing intolerance debate.
SRK had also written an article in a leading English magazine about how he was a ‘soft target’ and always has to prove his patriotism and had faced a lot of brunt from the public. At one point, Pakistan based Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed’s had also made comments about offering the actor asylum in Pakistan if he felt insecure in India.
Following Saeed’s comments, the security for SRK was again beefed up.
For Aamir Khan, he initially got additional security, post the release of his movie PK. The security was once again beefed up after he spoke on the issue of intolerance, saying that he was “alarmed” by a number of incidents of intolerance in the country and that his wife Kiran Rao has suggested that they should probably move out of India.
His comments sparked a row, with some BJP workers even staging protests outside his Mumbai residence.
Solaris Images – Security outside Aamir Khan’s residence after BJP workers protests
After this overhaul, the report says now only two armed constables will shadow the two actors in two shifts while the armed protocol and vehicles have been called back.
The report also suggests that the 25 Bollywood personalities whose security cover has now been fully withdrawn include director – producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra, director Rajkumar Hirani, director Farah Khan and producer siblings Ali and Karim Morani.
The 15 Bollywood personalities who will continue to remain under the security cover include actor Akshay Kumar, producer Mahesh Bhatt, Producer Mukesh Bhatt, singer Lata Mangeshkar, and legendary actors Dilip Kumar and Amitabh Bachchan.