Sanjay Misra is a ubiquitous face in Hindi films. We bring you 17 facts about his life that you did not know but will make you love and admire him more.
1. The 51-year-old actor has a habit of signing as many movies as he can because he signs small films for rehearsals and gets paid for them.
2. He belongs to a family of government servants. His father worked in the information and broadcasting ministry, his grandfather was a district magistrate.
3. But it was his grandmother who was his earliest influence. She used to sing for the Patna radio station and Mishra spent his childhood vacations with her.
4. After living in Banaras, he came to Mumbai in 1991, either be a comedian or a villain or a hero.
Between 1991 and 1999, he tried his hand at everything — from lighting to art direction to camerawork. He lived on vada pav and missed home badly.
5. He had also tried his hand at television; his first serial was Chanakya (1991). But things were not happening for him.
Then, he realised reading scripts too deeply was the problem. Due to this, he couldn’t understand the character which the director wanted him to do. After that, he stopped reading scripts.
6. During the cricket World Cup series in 1999, Mishra’s Apple Singh commercials for ESPN Star Sports became so popular that the character was adopted as the face of the channel.
7. Then he signed up the hugely popular sitcom Office Office, with Pankaj Kapur, Manoj Pahwa and writer Ashwini Dheer.
8. His film Ankhon Dekhi ‘s response was a surprise for him. He saw a theatre-goer in tears after watching Ankhon Dekhi and was taken aback by the fact that the film touched people so deeply.
9. He did Phas Gaya Re Obama for creative satisfaction, Jolly LLB for free as it was just a night’s work, Dum Laga Ke Haisha for his mother, as it was shot in Haridwar and Masaan, shot in Banaras, is dedicated to his father.
10. Mishra is currently working in the sequel to Phas Gaya Re Obama, Dilwale, Sooraj Bharjatya’s Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, Rajkumar Santoshi’s assistant Manish’s first film, and Inder Kumar’s Grand Masti.
11. Movies, incidentally, are not his only love. He loves cooking as well.
Wherever he goes, he buys a cylinder and cook his own food. His signature dishes are Achari Mutton and Pepper Chicken.
12. He also enjoys all kinds of music. He says, “After 20 years, I don’t have a bank balance but I have a music balance.”
13. And then, there’s photography. Also, unlike other actors who are obsessed with their fitness, Sanjay Mishra doesn’t care about it all.
14. Sanjay Mishra’s forte is comedy, but there was a time when life didn’t seem funny.
The actor was critically ill at one point during the shooting of the Office Office
movie and was hospitalised. Sadly, 15 days after he recovered, his father passed away.
15. After the death of his father, Misra went to Rishikesh and started working in a Dhaba, making omelettes.
16. It was Rohit Shetty who coaxed Mishra to return and act in All The Best.
17. Mishra, who was scarred by a failed marriage during his NSD days, wasn’t sure about marrying again. But his mother insisted. So, he agreed to an arranged marriage in 2009.
He recently spent nine days in Uttarakhand, his wife’s Kiran’s hometown, with his family.