Jaishankar informed the panel that the Indian Army had carried out “target-specific, limited-calibre, counter-terrorist operations” across the Line of Control in the past too but this is the first time the government has gone public about it.
Parrikar had said that a “major” share of credit for the army action last month goes to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He had said all the 127 crore people of India, including “doubting Thomases”, and the Army share and deserve credit for the operation as it was done by the armed forces and not by any political party.
The panel, headed by Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, was briefed by Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar, Defence Secretary G Mohan Kumar, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Bipin Rawat and Special Secretary (Internal Security) in the Ministry of Home Affairs M K Singla. BSF DG K K Sharma was also present.
He said soon after the September 29 operations ended, Pakistan’s Director General of Military Operations was informed.
When a Congress member asked whether similar operations would be carried out in future, the officials said the strikes had served their purpose for now, and indicated that it would serve as a deterrent for Pakistan in the future.
Congress member Satyavrat Chaturvedi youtube
On Jaishankar’s comments, Congress said it exposes the BJP and Modi government’s “lie” on the recent surgical strikes.