Indian cricket team star Rohit Sharma is a visual treat for his fans on field. He is one of the most talented players of the squad. He is the proud achiever of highest individual score in ODIs – 264 and is the only batsman in the world to breach the 200 mark in ODIs twice till now. The Hit-Man of Indian Cricket team has a lot of nicknames such a maggieman, No-Hit, etc. His journey from a little boy to an awesome cricketer is worth knowing. Here are some unknown facts about him that will amaze you for sure:
1. When Rohit’s father Gurunath Sharma lost his job in a transport company, the responsibility of the family fell on Rohit’s shoulders at a very young age. He used to play for Indian Oil and Ranji matches at that time.
2. His mother wanted him to study well and get a reputed job. She never wanted him to become a cricketer. But, Rohit didn’t listen to anyone and followed his passion.
3. In 2007, when Rohit batted a six and scored approximately 50 runs in the first inning itself in a T20 match, that was his father’s best moment.
4. Rohit hails from Maharashtra but his mother is from Visakhapatnam and hence, he can fluently converse in Hindi, English, Telugu and Marathi.
5. His coach Dinesh Lad, the father of Mumbai teammate Sidhesh Lad, understood Rohit’s potential as a cricketer and made him a batsman. Rohit had started as an off spinner.
6. He was not financially stable and that’s why he was given a scholarship for studies due to his cricket abilities.
7. He once bunked school to meet his batting idol, Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag.
8. Virat Kohli revealed that among the Indian Cricket team members, Rohit is the one who loves to sleep a lot.
9. Rohit Sharma is among those four cricketers who have won IPL with two different teams (Deccan Chargers and Mumbai Indians). Lakshmipathy Balaji, Pragyan Ojha and Yusuf Pathan are the other three players.
10. Rohit loves eating eggs. Belonging to a vegetarian family made it difficult from him to do so; hence, he used to go out to eat eggs.
11. His friend once challenged him to eat 45 eggs and he effortlessly won the challenge.
12. He was also linked to British- Indian model Sofia Hayat. Though, neither of them gave any statement about it.
13. He married Ritika Sajdeh on 13 December, 2015 after being in a relationship for six years. Ritika is the rakhi sister of Yuvraj Singh.