1. NDA is the first military academy in the world where three forces – Army, Navy and Air Force – of defence are trained together.
Aniruddha Rajandekar dna
2. It started functioning as Joint Services Wing (JSW) on Jan 1, 1949 at the Indian Military Academy (then known as Armed Forces Academy) in Dehradun before its inauguration as NDA on Jan 16, 1955. This ‘migration’ is known as Operation Badli.
3. JSW was housed in barracks in which Italian prisoners of war were kept during World War II.
4. Money for the building of NDA came from a corpus donated by Sudan in 1941 in recognition of the sacrifices of Indian troops in the defence of Sudan during WWII. This is why the main building is called Sudan Block.
5. Khadakwasla was chosen as the site for the academy because of it being a lake shore, having a hilly terrain, proximity to the Arabian Sea, and other old military establishments such as an operational air base.