Revered as the Supreme Master, Guru Dattatreya is believed to be the one to have started the Siddha Lineage in the world. A Siddha is someone who is perfect. Someone who’s mastered himself and the universe. It was through this Siddha lineage that hundreds and thousands of spiritual masters passed on the nectar of Vedanta. You just remembered your teachers on September 5, but I bet you won’t have recalled the supreme one.
1. He is the Grand Teacher.
The Ultimate Guru Principle in the Universe.
2. He authored Tripura Rahasya (The Mystery beyond the Trinity).
It’s the most scientific and thought provoking of all Advaita Vedanta scriptures.
3. He was born to Atri (a renowned sage, one of the 10 sons of Brahma & the 7th Saptrishi) and Anasuya.
Dattatreya is believed to be an incarnation of all 3 trinity gods i.e. Brahma, Vishnu & Mahadeva.
4. Dattatreya created His consort through yogic energy.
He named Her Anagha (Sinless, pure).
5. Dattatreya passed on Tripura Rahasya to Parsurama.
6. He authored Avadhuta Gita.
It’s a compilation of the sublime truths – a perfect book for anyone yearning to advance on the path to non-duality.
7. Figuratively, he’s accompanied by 4 dogs.
These are 4 Vedas, 4 Yugas (state of time) and 4 States (state of the universe).
8. He was born because the Hindu Trinity once tested the purity of His mother.
Bhrama, Vishnu and Mahesh, disguised as wondering monks asked for food from Anasuya, Dattatreya’s mother. When she agreed, they put forward a condition that she must be naked when serving the food. Upon hearing this, Anasuya, by summoning her yogic powers turned the Hindu Trinity into a Baby Trinity.
Only when the wives of these 3 Lords of the Universe made a pact that they would be born to her, did she let allow them to be grownups again.