2. But she didn’t do any such things, she started trolling Facebook, looking for ‘true love’. In February 2013, she started getting attention from Mr. Mukesh Kumar, from the mystical land of elephants, snake charmers, kings and queens, India. That’s how most foreigners perceive India.
3. Mukesh lived in an Indian village, leading a very normal life, every Indian farmer lives. He had very basic education and spoke broken English. But when his friends who were ‘desis’ settled or working abroad, came back and narrated stories of the foreign lands to him, his eyes lit up.
4. We’re assuming he did not have the means to travel to a metro, so settling or going abroad was an impossible feat for him to achieve. But, the world could come to him, at least virtually.
5. Mukesh joined Facebook as all his friends talked about it all the time and bragged about the endless possibilities of meeting girls from anywhere in the world on it.
6. After several failed attempts to get noticed by the opposite sex, he found the profile of Adriana. She was the perfect personification of a ‘gori’ for him. White skinned, blue eyes, blond hair and ready to mingle!
7. After letting go of her apprehensions of people from the third world, Adriana warmed up to Mukesh and started chatting with him regularly. She loved the attention she was getting, from the doting boy friend she had found online.
8. He couldn’t believe his luck in what he had found and made it a point to be in touch with her regularly. We really wonder what must have been going through his head at that time. Can only shake my head in wonder!
9. After decrypting his messages in broken English for quite a few weeks, one day she was shocked out of her boots, when Mukesh Kumar called from his ‘pind’ and confessed his love for her.
10. His persistence finally won over her heart, after talking over the phone for a few more weeks and she decided to take a complete U-turn in her life. She was 41 and he was 25, when cupid struck them.
11. There were mixed reactions, mostly apprehensive, when she broke the news to her family. The decision to leave her 25-year-old daughter must have not been an easy one.
12. Others warned her that this could be an online scam and there may not be somebody in real. But she had made up her mind, to follow her heart and take the plunge, come what may.
13. In August she arrived in India, to be greeted by a devoted Mukesh, at the Delhi airport. They got married in November, 2013. But the real shock was yet to come.
15. At home, she has to adorn the role of a perfect housewife overnight. Her day starts with cleaning the house, washing utensils, washing clothes and tending to the animals, to name a few.
16. From wearing body hugging, deep plunging necklines, she has now been transformed to wearing traditional Indian clothes.
17. From somebody who use to love clubbing and going partying, she has readily accepted an outside closet size toilet, with a bucket and a living room that becomes an animal shelter in the night.
18. She essentially makes cow pat cakes, or a local fuel substitute made with cow dung, manually.
20. The celebrity status of having an in-house foreigner is soon fading in the village. She is in the process of getting accepted, due to her efforts at looking like the rest and learning to speak in Hindi. 21. The pair has the blessings and heartfelt acceptance of Mukesh’s mother, who has been freed of the shackles of household chores, by her daughter-in-law from US.
22. For now the couple is very happy and they look like they were meant to be. Soon, they want to start their own family and live happily ever after.
23. Somewhere in some corner of her heart, Mrs. Kumar is hoping that one day she can fly back to where she came from, with Mukesh and family of course.24. We hope this bubble never bursts, and sets an example for those who have stopped believing in love. The true kind.