NASA’s Kepler spacecraft has made a very interesting discovery
– an exoplanet 5 times the size of Earth and orbiting a habitable zone. But let us not have those high-fantasy thoughts of living in another Earth. (An exoplanet is a planet that orbits a star other than the Sun, a stellar remnant, or a brown dwarf.)
1. Kepler-452b lies 1400 light years away in constellation Cygnus.
2. Kepler-452b is 60 per cent larger than Earth.
3. Its estimated mass puts Kepler-452b in the category of rocky planets such as Earth.
4. Kepler-452b is a 1.5 billion years older than Earth.
5. Due to its age, the planet actually shows Earth’s future which will be hotter and brighter.
6. The planet’s orbit is only 5 per cent longer than Earth’s, despite its size.
7. No, they haven’t found signs of alien life on this planet yet.