Various organisations from Jat community again went on a statewide protests on March 14, so as to support their two major demands — reservation of Jats under OBC quota and withdrawal of criminal cases against Jats protesters.
The Jat Community had warned about these protests few days back and also asked that dead protesters be given ‘martyr’ status.
The Jat community had gone on a agitation last month and had caused a lot damage to public properties during their protests.
They have now given the state government a 72-hour ultimatum for accepting their demands or have threatened to again block highways and railway tracks from March 17.
Looking at the growing tension the Haryana government has sent a requisition to centre, requesting them to deploy paramilitary forces in eight districts, including Jhajjar, Rohtak, Sonepat, Hisar and Kaithal. Additional Chief Secretary (Home) PK Das said that they are yet hear anything from the MHA, but are ‘closely monitoring the situation and would be able to assess the situation better on Monday.’
Several Jat union leaders were called for a meeting with Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on March 13 but they did not attend.
AIJASS head Yash Pal Malik, who is spearheading the agitation, had objected to the constitution of a committee headed by Haryana Chief Secretary and said:
“When a committee has already been constituted by the Union government under the chairmanship of Minister Venkaiah Naidu, what is the sanctity of a committee constituted by the state government under the chairmanship of Chief Secretary.”