1. The Indian Police Service (IPS) academy is called Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy.
2. The institute was named after the Iron Man of India because he was responsible for creating the All India Services and for establishing a training institution to train IPS officers.
3. The motto of the IPS academy is Satya Seva Surakshnam, Sanskrit for ‘Mean Truth, Service Security’.
4. The IPS academy was founded on September 15, 1948 at Mount Abu, Rajasthan, and moved to Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh only in the year 1975.
5. The trained officers are posted as Assistant Superintendent of Police in their allotted states.
Special training on cyber security is also imparted. SVPNPA
6. The academy conducts three In-service Management Development Programmes for officers of SP, Deputy IG and Inspector General levels of the Indian Police Service.
7. There are a host of other training programmes for all levels of police officers.
8. Foreign police officers and other officers belonging to IRS, Army/IAS/IFS/Judiciary/CAPF, public sector undertakings, nationalised banks, insurance companies etc. also attend specialised courses at the academy.
9. The academy is affiliated to Osmania University.
10. The academy received the President’s Colours on its 40th anniversary on September 15, 1988.
11. The SVP NPA also provides consultancy services to sister training institutions for improving their management of training.
12. The academy acts as a centre for research studies on police subjects through tie-ups with similar institutions in and outside the country.
13. The Academy is headed by a Director, an IPS officer of the rank of Director General of Police or Commissioner of Police (State).
The Director is assisted by two joint directors of the rank of IG or joint commissioner of police, three deputy directors of the rank of Deputy Inspector General of Police or additional commissioner of police. The current DG is Ms Aruna Bahuguna.
14. A team of 13 assistant directors also help the Director in the operations of the academy.
The assistant directors include eight IPS/SPS officers of the rank of superintendent of police from state cadres, a Forensic Scientist, a Judicial Service Officer, a specialist each in Training Methodology, Computers and Wireless.
A special mess for senior IPS officers visiting the academy. SVPNPA
15. NPA is spread over 275 acres of land.
16. The main training of officers is done in the Millennium Training Complex (MTC).
It is a state-of-the-art building with all the modern equipments and tools needed for training purposes.
17. There is a forensic science building, complete with a Crime Scene Hall, a Forensic Science Laboratory and an IED Model Room.
18. A Communication Lab (Language Laboratory) helps trainee officers to speed up the learning of various regional languages.
19. A special training in driving and mechanism of motor vehicles, and underwater survival are given to trainee officers.
20. The IPS mess is run by the trainee officers themselves on a contributory basis.
21. The academy library is one of the best libraries on police subject in the country.
22. A Martyrs Column commemorates officers who die in the line of duty.
The names of all IPS officers martyred is inscripted on this column.
23. An urban shooting range and assault training area teach trainees how to handle Urban Armed Combat scenario, use weapons, and strategise, besides making them physically and mentally tough. The IPS academy imparts training on all forms of strategic and administrative disciplines to the trainees, which is why the police administration of the country is so well-structured and is able to formidably secure cities as huge as Mumbai.