The human brain is amazing as it works 24 hours nonstop for 365 days. Whats more it works constantly throughout our whole life and only temporarily malfunctions when we have to take an exam or fall in love. Just kidding. It is the most complex object on earth to understand and many scientists and doctors have spent a lifetime to learn how a brain works. Here, we put together mind-blowing facts about the brain that we are pretty sure, you didn’t know.
1. The brain is the most energy consuming organ of your body.
It consumes around 20% of the total oxygen that enters our bloodstream, making it extremely susceptible to damage related to oxygen deprivation. So breathe fresh air deeply to keep your brain healthy and happy with a good flow of oxygenated cells.
2. Your brain generates enough electricity to light a bulb.
The cartoon image of a light bulb over your head when a great thought occurs isn’t way too far off the mark. It is estimated that the amount of energy that the human brain generates can actually light up a bulb.
3. A 5 to 10 minute oxygen deprivation can cause irreversible brain damage.
Brain is an oxygen sensitive organ and needs a fresh and regular supply of the vital gas delivered through the bloodstream.
4. Your brain keeps developing until your late 40s.
A human brain matures in the 40s of a mans life and after that, the reasoning and analytical skills begin to slow down, more so after the 60s. When you learn something new, the structure of your brain changes. After reaching full maturity, the brain starts shrinking in size and becomes less efficient at accessing and processing the intellectual and knowledge inputs.
5. A new born has more brain cells than adults.
Child is the father of Man said poet William Wordsworth. Children are born with abilities that guide the future of mankind. Scientists attribute this to children having more brain cells than adults that can adapt to the changing environment. As one grows up and ages, the brains cells slowly start to deplete.
6. Power fundamentally changes how the brain operates.
The brain is one of the most sensitive organs in the human body. Even a small dose of power can causes changes in a person, who may start feeling less empathetic towards others.
7. Taste receptors deep inside the brain regulate your diet.
They lie in your hypothalamus and are called gluco receptors, which help your brain to regulate blood sugar levels. Stomach, intestines, pancreas, lungs, anus and testicles too have taste receptors.
8. The human brain is regarded as the fattest organ in the human body.
About 60% of the human brain is made up of fat. That makes it as the body organ with the most fat in comparison to other organs. So, literally you are a fathead.
9. Starving or dieting forces your brain cells to eat themselves.
Hunger forces the brain to become cannibalistic and it starts to eat its own brain cells. It’s because of this that the craving for food gets stronger when you are starving. Do keep this in mind before extreme dieting!
10. Your brain helps in calming you down and making you feel better.
Yes, the brain produces theta brain waves that can be triggered by something like the smell of chocolate, which has an calming and relaxing effect.
11. During an orgasm, your brain scan resembles that of a heroin high.
It is because of the neurotransmitter ‘dopamine’ that the brain releases during orgasm and sexual arousal. It’s possibly because of this that sex and drugs have such an dangerous co-relation.
12. Drunken blackouts are not caused by alcohol, but because of the brain’s momentary inability to create memories.
Alcohol intake hits the brain early. It only takes 6 minutes for brain cells to react to alcohol.
13. Brain connections last as long as the memories they store and form a new connection with each new memory.
14. You could lead a normal life with only 1 side of your brain.
Doctors have proven that if one half of your brain is removed in surgery, it apparently has no effect on personality or memory.
15. Your brain produces about 70,000 thoughts a day.
Being one of the most active body organs that is rather a large number of thoughts, doubts, resolutions and other ideas passing through a brain in one day.
16. Though it is the ‘pain center’ of your body, the brain itself does not feel any pain.
This explains how brain surgery can be performed while the patient is awake and he does not complain of any pain or discomfort.
17. Men have bigger brains than women.
In general, male brains are about 10% larger than female brains, even after taking into account larger body size.
18. Our brains are getting smaller.
Anthropological studies have estimated that over the past 20,000 years, the size of the average human brain has actually shrunk by the size of a tennis ball.
19. Stress may just shrink your brain.
Stress can damage you immensely we all know, but I bet you didn’t know that stress is actually the most common cause for changes in brain function.
20. There is an outsourced part of your brain that is not in your head.
One has heard about gut feelings and it may because a second brain that lies in your intestines contains about 100,000 neurons.
21. The brain never sleeps.
Disconnected from the outer world during sleep, the brain generates dreams for us. Also, the brain releases chemicals that paralyze our bodies during sleep so that we don’t act out our dreams.
22. A tired brain is more creative.
Yes, you read it right. That’s why we feel more creative when we are sleepy.
23. The pathologist who carried out the autopsy on Albert Einstein’s body stole his brain and kept it in a jar for 20 years.
More than a scientific study, he possibly hoped to one day transplant the top scientist’s most prized body organ.