Rajkummar Rao has successfully carved a niche for himself in Bollywood. Audiences, actors, actresses and directors have started noticing this pool of talent. He is being talked of as a versatile actor who can be cast in all kinds of roles. From his first role in ‘LSD’ to his National Award winning performance in ‘Shahid’, Rajkummar has traveled a short way, but is here to stay.
1. Contrary to popular belief, Rajkummar is not from South India; he was born in a small village in rural Gurgaon in 1984.
Coming from a middle-class family, Rajkummar had no Bollywood connections and no, Gurgaon wasn’t how it is now. It was a rural area back then.
2. Unlike other Gen X actors who quit studying early, Rajkummar completed his education; he is a DU alumnus.
He is also a qualified actor from FTII Pune.
3. Rajkummar gives full credit to Ekta Kapoor for launching him in Bollywood.
His early performances were in movies like ‘LSD’ and ‘Ragini MMS’ but the actor believes that it’s due to Ekta Kapoor that he got real exposure in the industry when he acted in ‘KPC’.
4. You might not have noticed him, but he did play a small cameo in ‘Gangs of Wasseypur-II’.
Rajkummar is a huge fan of Anurag Kashyap, a cameo was no problem for him.
5. ‘Kai Po Che’ was the turning point in Rajkummar’s career.
Although the movie was promoted with Sushant Singh Rajput as the lead, Rajkummar still managed to get the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor award for it.
6. Rajkummar and Anwita Paul (screen name is Patralekha) are star crossed lovers who first met each other at FTII but fell in love much later during the shooting of a short film.
The pair has been going steady for almost three+ years now.
7. His girlfriend Patralekha made her acting career debut with boyfriend Rajkummar in ‘City Lights’.
8. It was in Class X when he first figured out that acting was his passion; he believed in himself and pursued it.
The young lad used to cycle from Gurgaon to Delhi to perform in the plays during his college days. During those days, Rajkummar was doing theatre with Kshitij Repertory and Shri Ram Centre (SRC) in Delhi.
9. As if by luck, FTII restarted after 28 years the year he wanted to join; he graduated in 2008.
The stars were aligning to give him his break, and audiences, a great actor.
10. During his struggling days, somebody actually told him that he had ugly eyebrows, he was dark and not hero material.
Bu the determined actor did not give up. He stood his ground. Rest is history.
11. Raj is a big fan of Amir Khan and did ‘Talaash’ only to get a chance to work with Amir.
12. His mother is a staunch believer of numerology and convinced him to add an M to his name for success.
His real name was Rajkumar Yadav. The on-screen name became Rajkummar Rao with an extra M in Kumar, and Rao instead of Yadav as surname.
13. Rajkummar was initially cast as the main lead of ‘NH 10’.
It was Anushka Sharma who got him ousted from NH 10, as she was adamant to take a hero of her choice, since she was the producer of the movie.
14. “Failure may dishearten me but success will never change me,” says Rajkummar.
He further adds, “You can spot me roaming around with my friends on Yari Road in Mumbai. If I change as a person, then I cannot be an actor. If I feel celebrity-like, I’ll never be able to play real characters.” Hats off to this humble superstar in making!
15. On-screen, he looks a bit short but in fact, he is 1.78 m tall.
The actor enjoys a huge female fan following across the country.
We think Rajkummar is a massive pool of talent and there is a whole lot more to him than the few memorable roles he has done. We wish him all the best and good fortune for his future ventures.