1. The school was founded by Rev. James Douglas Tytler, whose adopted son is Congress leader Jagdish Tytler.
Rev. JD Tytler (left) and his son Jagdish Tytler
2. The school’s motto is Service Before Self – a belief shared by all branches.
Renamed Naveen Bharat High School after Independence, the school was restructured as Delhi Public School Society in 1949.
4. The DPS Society was founded in 1949 to enable Rev. J.D. Tytler to secure a new land for the school.
5. The first DPS was opened on Mathura Road.
The branch has produced luminaries such as Vinod Khanna, Kabir Bedi, Montek Singh Ahluwalia and Salman Khurshid among others.
6. DPS is the largest school chain in the world with 183 branches spread across India and growing.
Most of them are in Gulf countries.
8. Among all of its Indian branches the RK Puram branch is considered the best around.
It was the second branch and was established in 1972. Notable alumni include RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, film critic Mayank Shekhar, NDTV anchor Ambika Anand, and Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda.
9. Except a handful, all schools under the DPS Society are accredited to the CBSE.
10. A fake trust was formed in the name of Delhi Public School in 2003 from Rohini.
A Delhi High Court order blocked it from using the DPS name and logo in 2008 but it did not cease operations. In 2012 the Delhi High Court
gave the trust a Contempt of Court warning, called it a “dishonest” and greedy institution, barred it from using DPS in its name, and asked it pay Rs.10 lakh as damages.
11. The National Thermal Power Corporation funds the DPS Farakka branch.
12. Other notable alumni include Naveen Jindal, Shriya Saran, Anjum Chopra, Jyoti Trehan, Sagarika Ghosh, and Mallika Sherawat.
13. DPS Srinagar has the most beautiful campus among all DPS branches.
This is how it looks in summer:
And this in winter:
14. The Doha branch of the DPS offers integrated optional coaching facility from FIIT JEE.
15. Dr. Sharada Nayak became the first woman chairperson of DPS Society.
She was elected chairperson on April 6. However, her election has been challenged by vice-chairman Rear Admiral MM Chopra
. So you now know how grand an educational set-up is the Delhi Public School. Such a rich history and illustrious alumni! Of course, the official website of the DPS Society must be a class apart, no? No. Take a look. It looks like it was made in the 1990s by a tyro who relied on the guidelines of “How to make a website using MSDOS” manual.