Gearing up for upcoming elections, AIADMK chief J Jayalalithaa on May 5 unveiled her party manifesto.
Basic facilities like free electricity and water are passe. AIADMK has promised freebies such as mobile phones to all 1.92 crore ration card holders, 50% subsidy on scooters for working women and free Wi-Fi at public places.
Other highlights of Amma’s manifesto are:
- Complete waiver of all farm loans,
- Rs 40,000-crore loans for farmers from 2016-21,
- No FDI in retail,
- Free laptops with internet for Class 10th and 12th students,
- Free set top boxes to all Arasu cable TV subscribers, and
- Up to 100 units of electricity free of cost to consumers, which will exempt 78 lakh domestic consumers from paying electricity bill.
Looking for a re-election, Amma, during her election rally in Perunthurai, Tamil Nadu’s Erode district said:
Back in 2006 and 2011, Amma had issued a similar manifesto which had outdid her rivals in the last leg of the campaign.
In 2006 she had promised to give 10 kg free rice every month, along with four gram of gold for the ‘mangalsutra’ of poor women who were getting married and free laptops for students who passed class 12th exams.
In 2011, AIADMK had promised supply for 20 litres water and 20 kg free rice for the BPL families. Besides that Amma had also promised four free sets of uniforms and a pair of shoes for the school children and free laptops for the class 11, 12 and college students, which she had distributed after the elections were over. Tamil Nadu is set to go into elections on May 16, with votes to be counted on May 19.