Lake on fire? Unbelievable? Not really. Recently, the Bellandur Lake in Bangalore, which has been covered with several feet of toxic foam, caught fire and burned for most of last Friday night, reports Huffington Post.
The video recorded from the lake banks shows the shocking incident.
For several weeks, the lake was covered with toxic foam which resembles snow. Beneath the snow-white leather coating, the water turned black from chemicals and sewage. Residents reported allergic reactions and a burning sensation possibly caused by toxins released by the foam.
Experts said that a slurry of oil and phosphorus from untreated industrial waste and sewage likely created the conditions for the combustible cocktail to ignite. Areas of nearby wetlands, that had helped to filter the lake in the past, were consumed by development.