This is not dream, it’s a reality! We have brought you a unique America as seen directly from the clouds. It didn’t just happen, it was all well-planned. Thanks to photographer Margaret Bourke-White who climbed various ‘whirlibirds’ to make these photographs so lively. Take your coffee, sit and soak up in this beautiful atmosphere of American sights created to last till the last drop of your drink and the final bite of biscuit.
1. The Statue of Liberty
2. The George Washington Bridge
3. Midtown Manhattan (with the entrance to a cross-river tunnel visible at lower left)
4. Columbus Circle, New York City
5. Coney Island, Brooklyn
6. Beach accident, the near drowning of a Coney Island bather named Mary Eschner
7. Location unknown (New York State)
8. Back Bay, Virginia
9. Trains after snowfall, Chicago
10. Grain elevator, operated by the Norris Grain Co. on the southeast side of Chicago
11. Chicago’s famous Wrigley Building looks like candy castle from a helicopter above spire
12. Pittsburgh Steamship Co. ship carrying ore to US Steel plant. Gary, Indiana
13. Gary, Indiana, steel plant
14. Water skiers and motorboats speed across the water, Long Beach, Calif.
15. Freight train traveling through the El Cajon Pass outside San Diego, Calif.
16. Coronado Hotel and its surroundings, San Diego, Calif.
17. Golden Gate Bridge
18. Ocean Beach, San Francisco, Calif.
19. Farm workers harvesting onions, Burbank, California
20. Beach riders guide their horses along the shore at high tide at Ocean Beach, near Fort Funston
21. Over the Texas star on the San Jacinto Monument near Houston, helicopter-borne camera looks sharply down 570-foot shaft to steps and parking space below
From: LIFE Credit:
Margaret Bourke-White—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images