Photographs could be anything from iconic to insignificant. Those that move masses and make history obviously are from the first category. Some of the photos that have immense historical significance now may not have enjoyed a similar reputation at the time when it was clicked. These 16 photos from past are the ones to treasure because of what they signify.
16. Walter Yeo, one of the first to undergo an advanced plastic surgery and a skin transplant, 1917.
15. Baby cages used to ensure that children get enough sunlight and fresh air when living in an apartment building, ca. 1937.
14. A space chimp posing to camera after a successful mission to space, 1961.
13. First morning after Sweden changed from driving on the left side to driving on the right, 1967.
12. Mom and son watching the mushroom cloud after an atomic test, Las Vegas, 1953.
11. Annette Kellerman promotes women’s right to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907. She was arrested for indecency.
10. The original Ronald McDonald, 1963.
9. Soldier shares a banana with a goat during the battle of Saipan, ca. 1944.
8. Elvis in the Army, 1958.
7. Construction of the Berlin wall, 1961.
6. The real Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin, ca. 1927.
5. Illegal alcohol being poured out during Prohibition, Detroit, 1929.
4. Hotel owner pouring acid in the pool while black people swim in it, ca. 1964.
3. Mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948.
2. Testing of new bulletproof vests, 1923.
1. Martin Luther King with his son removing a burnt cross from their front yard, 1960.